Campbell-Ewald, the digital design agency of Alltel Corporation, needed to validate an improved customer experience in researching and locating the information new customers were seeking.
Our Client: Alltel Wireless was the fifth largest wireless communications company in the U.S. (July 2008); it has since been acquired by Verizon Wireless.
Product: Wireless services for business and residential customers.
Partner: Campbell-Ewald, Alltel’s digital agency, turns to TecEd for user research services.
Challenge: Validate the redesigned website for an improved customer experience in researching and locating the information new customers were seeking.
- For redesign: Simplify look-and-feel, navigation, and content to better engage users who are considering a switch to Alltel.
- For usability testing: Learn how the redesigned navigation and content supports users as they decide which wireless plan best meets their criteria.
- Identification of user audiences, all customers of other wireless carriers.
- Interviews to learn users’ specific requirements and selection criteria for choosing a wireless plan and wireless company.
- Through usability testing, observation of users exploring the redesigned site to find a plan that met their criteria.
- Simplified site navigation was clear and effective.
- “At-a-glance” tables on Alltel’s Plans pages drew users’ attention and clarified differences between plans and plan groups, but desired or important details often were not discovered below the fold.
- Feature summary on Phones page enabled users to decide whether a phone was a fit; easy-to-use phone comparison feature also helped.
Redesigned Alltel Plan Information Page